Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 8: Farm Box Day




This afternoon, I picked up our weekly box of vegetables from Delvin Farms. It is always fun to see what we have - fresh, organic vegetables whose purchase supports a local farmer. (When I posted the photo on Facebook, the long Italian eggplant in the center was, well, veeeery popular.... ) If you are in the Nashville area and are interested in Community Supported Agriculture, all the information you need is here.




I then made a big salad for dinner tonight and work lunches, consisting of items from Delvin boxes from last week and this week, and other things I found in the pantry:




1 smallish spaghetti squash, which I roasted the other day while making soup

1 chopped red bell pepper

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped, boiled 15 minutes

1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 28 oz can tomatoes, drained and chopped

1/4 c grapeseed oil

LOTS of sage

salt, thyme, granulated onion, granulated garlic to taste




Farm to table, y'all.



2 comments:

Bianca said...

I have a fear of the CSA! I shared a share with a co-worker a couple times this year, and while I appreciated the free local produce (I didn't have to pay for my share of her share ... sweet!), I don't think I'd like the surprise element from week to week. I like to plan my meals a week in advance (cause I'm a nerd for menu planning!). So I like to go to the farmer's market each week with a list of what I need. I know, I'm weird.

JohnP said...

Bianca, I'm not organized enough to menu plan on a regular basis, so the unpredictability suits me!