Sunday, October 25, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 25: I have your pot roast, right here...

In a dark corner of my reptilian brain, there is a little spot known as "pot roast." It rears its meaty, overcooked head on grey, drippy, autumn days. I now have a way to feed it.

After seeing multiple positive comments on Facebook, I bought yet another new cookbook: Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson. I've only made one recipe so far - the "Wait-For-You Stew," but this one is a winner. It's very close to my ancient memory of pot roast. It came together quickly and easily, and bubbled along in the crock pot while I cleaned the house. The recipe has an error. It does not list the liquid needed for making the seitan. I just added water until it looked right. Also, I added more of all the vegetables and half a chopped onion which was sitting, alone and drying out, in the refrigerator. The flavor was very satisfying and the texture of the long-simmered seitan was perfect. I am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow, and to making this again.

1 comment:

radioactivegan said...

that looks really really good. i don't think i even have a pot roast memory, but i'd like to try that stew :)