Monday, October 26, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 26: Raw Food circa 1969



My maternal grandmother struggled with debilitating arthritis, and tried a number of alternative health approaches. For a time, she experimented with a raw diet, using the "No-Cook" Book by John H. Tobe. I don't think she stuck with it for long, and I don't remember it having any significant results. When my grandparents passed away, this book found its way to me.


Tobe's book is not vegan. He includes some dairy, eggs, honey, and quite a bit of fish - all raw. However, there are many vegan recipes. I'm glad to have the book for sentimental reasons, but I have never really put it to work in the kitchen. I suppose the idea of raw food from 1969 didn't seem too appealing. However, strengthened by Vegan MoFo, I decided to give it a go.


The recipes are organized into menus for every day of the year. Thus, I turned to October 26. The breakfast looked intriguing - grinding corn, millet, oats and rose hips together, mixing with water and allowing to set overnight, and then adding fruit and nuts. However, I decided to go with the lunch item: Pineapple-Stuffed Tomatoes. You simply make a salad of fresh pineapple, walnuts, and celery (he gives no amounts - just eyeball it), and stuff into tomatoes which you have hollowed out with a spoon. Flavorless, hard October tomatoes actually work well here, as their primary role is to provide a stable salad bowl.


The dressing is as follows: 1 pint cider vinegar, 1 t dill seed, 1/2 t celery seed, pinch of mustard seed, 1 clove garlic, 1 T agave nectar (original recipe called for honey), 1 t salt, 1/2 t paprika, 1 c oil (Tobe calls for sunflower seed oil, but I used a mix of grapeseed and flax oils). Whiz this in the blender until smooth. Spoon a small amount onto each tomato.

The finished product was delicious, and encourages me to try more recipes from this book!

No comments: