Sunday, October 11, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 11: Yeasted Oat Pancakes

This should keep you going while I'm away: a very good, very easy pancake recipe. It makes a great Sunday breakfast. I doubled the recipe recently and make them for a work brunch, and they were very well received. I adapted a recipe I found on the internet.

Mix together: 8 oz oat flour, 8 oz wheat flour, 1 t salt, 1 t sugar, and 1 heaping t commercial yeast.

In a separate container, combine: 1 1/2 c water and 1 1/2 c nondairy milk (I like to use SoDelicious Coconut Milk in this recipe, but anything would work.) Heat the liquid until just lukewarm, and combine with the dry ingredients. Mix well, cover, and let rise for an hour. Cook on a lightly greased griddle, just like regular pancakes.

(I think the measurements in the original recipe are imperial, and are intended to give a thinner, crepe-like pancake. My measurements are American, and yield a result similar to the typical American pancake. Suit yourself!)

5 comments:

Mihl said...

I really love oat flour in pancakes and waffles! Must try your version soon.

JohnP said...

I made these again this morning, with a new twist: If you use a little less liquid and fry them in muffin rings, the recipe makes excellent English muffins.

JohnP said...

FYI, this recipe -more than most - seems to vary a lot in how much liquid is needed. It is always a little different for me. You have to judge by the appearance of the batter.

Unknown said...

Are these much fluffier than your standard pancake?

JohnP said...

Tracy, about the same!