Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 20: Vegan Crunk Appreciation

Last night, I took a little inspiration from Bianca. After all, it is her birthday season! For anyone not already addicted to her blog, she has the powers of roasted okra and vegan jelly donuts, and her forthcoming cookbook is eagerly awaited. Not to mention that she's super-nice, and a fellow Tennessean.

Recently, she posted about a butternut squash and macaroni recipe from the Whole Foods iPhone recipe app (which is free, and quite useful). With a lot of butternut squash on hand, I decided to give it a try. It's not the most photogenic recipe, but it's completely delicious. As Bianca points out, the coconut milk gives it a delightful creaminess. I changed the recipe a wee bit by caramelizing the onions, and adding a big spoonful of the Hickory Smoked "Bakon" seasoning I bought in bulk yesterday at Wildwood. If northern Georgia is not close to you, Food Fight carries this magical seasoning. We'll be making this very pantry-friendly recipe again soon!

ETA: For non-iPhone people, the recipe is on the WF website.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Aw, thanks for the shout-out and kind words, JohnP! I'm so glad we're friends!

And I'm gonna have to make this recipe again with bacon salt! I don't own any yet...but I keep meaning to add some to my next Food Fight or Vegan Essential's order. I love bacony flavors, and I know I'd coat EVERYTHING in bacon salt if I had some.