Friday, October 23, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 23: All Saints Bread

Today's MoFo post is sliding in late in the day.... My plans for yesterday were waylaid, as I broke a tooth and had to attend to it. It was a fragile tooth, due to some antique fillings, and my meal really had nothing to do with the break. I was enjoying some Gobi Manchurian at an Indian place near my office. I am an obsessive fan of this dish, and not even breaking a tooth will deter me from finishing my plate.

With a temporary crown in place, I am back in the culinary saddle. As I type, a loaf of pane co' santi, an Italian bread for the feast of All Saints (Nov 1) is rising in the kitchen. Photo above. I found this already-vegan recipe in a Catholic cookbook called A Continual Feast by Evelyn Birge Vitz. It contains a ridiculous amount of olive oil (1 cup per loaf), raisins, citrus rind, anise seed, toasted nuts, black pepper, and other things. There's not much sugar in it (2 T), so it is not a cakey item. I will be very interested to see how this turns out!

1 comment:

Tami said...

I'll bet it smells incredible.

Sorry to hear about your tooth!