Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 6: Jo Stepaniak Appreciation


It's been a long, busy Monday, and the weather is murky, cool, and wet. I want something warm and comforting for dinner, so I reached for Jo Stepaniak's Vegan Vittles. Her Creamy Potato Kale Soup is easy, fast, and an all-time household favorite. You can see it in its very early stages above. It is bubbling in the background as I type.

My earliest attempts at a plant-based diet took place in an ancient era that is almost lost to memory (the late 80s to early 90s), so authors like Jo Stepaniak and Louise Hagler will always have a special place on my cookbook shelf. I mean, Jo is the woman who brought us a whole cookbook about making tasty "uncheese" (Crock Cheez, anyone?) at a time in history when commercial vegan cheese was uniformly awful. And she is still churning out excellent work today!

In other news, while cutting through the Ellington Agricultural Center tonight, I noticed the signs are up for this year's Music and Molasses Festival, coming up on October 17-18. Unfortunately, a lot of the food is very non-vegan, but the entertainment is good, and it is a great opportunity to stock up on my favorite local sweetener, sorghum molasses.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Yo John P! I found your blog...and since you have comment moderation, you'll probably get the comment that I posted to a really old post of yours from last year. But I googled "John P" and "Vegan Mofo" and an old post about tortillas came up ... and I didn't realize it was old until I clicked on the main page and saw today's post. Silly me!

Jo Stepaniak is my hero! I love that damn Uncheese Cookbook! Plus, a lot of her stuff is published at the Farm.