Saturday, October 3, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 3: Tool Time!

Kitchen tools can add a lot to the fun of cooking. I'm not a big fan of tools that do things I can do just fine without them - rice cookers, bread makers, and such. (However, if these items will get you into the kitchen, don't let me stop you.) But I will shell out cash for fun toys like a spiralizer... a miraculous item (mostly from Japan, it seems) that will turn any reasonably solid vegetables into ribbons or noodles or other shapes. The one I have is called the "Benriner Cook Help," but there are a number of brands. The Benriner is easy to use and to clean.


Today I ran a small butternut squash through it with the most narrow blade. I then mixed it with some arugula (rocket to some of you...), about a teaspoon of olive oil, a half a teaspoon of umeboshi plum vinegar, and a few good shakes of Arizona Jalapeno Salt (from the amazing and talented Kim). A light and yet autumnal lunch, prepared in less than 10 minutes. And pretty much raw, too!


I'm glad the weekend is here so I can catch up on MoFo reading and commenting!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that looks better than my spiraliser. But even so I'm getting mine out to try this!

Ms Alex said...

I have to buy a spiraliser, they look amazing. :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Haha - I'm so adding a spiralizer to my list of "me wants". I could have so much fun with that.

Julie Lynn said...

I've been considering buying a spiraliser..I'll have to check this one out.

KitteeBee said...

was it super crunchy? i don't think i would've considered spiralizing a hard winter squash, but it looks good. i want one of these. what's the craziest thing you've ever run through it?

xo
kittee

JohnP said...

No, it's not too crunchy at all but I think using the thinnest blade helped. This may have been the craziest thing I've put through it yet