Friday, October 26, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Utah: Funeral Potatoes




If you have ever spent time around Utah natives and/or members of the LDS church, you have likely encountered funeral potatoes, so named as they are commonly served at funeral dinners, potlucks, and other church or community events.  A quick glance around the vegan blogosphere reveals several plant-based versions of this obviously beloved recipe.  (Hand over that Cream of Chicken soup, Relief Society sisters! Not necessary!)

A couple of years ago, I bought a cookbook by an LDS vegan, Traci's Transformational Kitchen Recipe Collection by Traci Sellers.  I think the purchase of this book more or less coincided with our move across town.  Thus, I made a couple of recipes, but it remained mostly untouched and this was a good opportunity to take it for a spin.  Traci's interesting version of this hotdish - with the less macabre name of "Yummie Potatoes" -  includes some butternut squash and her homemade "Almondaise."

Recipe notes:  I cut my potatoes in smaller pieces, so they steamed in 15-20 minutes.  I left the potato skins (which, in my case, were thin and tender) in the casserole with everything else.   And I topped it with the author's mother's suggestion - semi-crumbled corn flakes mixed with a little melted Earth Balance.

If you grew up with American casseroles, you will love this.  It is so delicious!  It also makes enough for the stereotypically large Mormon family, so you'll have plenty for days.

Also, as a side bonus, the Almondaise is excellent:  a really thick, rich mayo made from whole almonds, olive oil, water, and lemon juice.  It was easy to make, I have some leftover, and I can imagine using it frequently. Take a look:


This outstanding recipe makes me want to dig deeper into Traci's book!

4 comments:

KitteeBee said...

Yum sells, death not so much.

xo
kittee

Desdemona said...

After a glance at the original recipe, I'm convinced this dish is so named because one's funeral is a direct result of eating it!

JohnP said...

Desdemona, no kidding! Traci's vegan version is considerably healthier, but still indulgent.

panda with cookie said...

You know if there are cornflakes crumbled on top, it's got to be good.