Thursday, October 18, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Florida: Floribbean Tofu & Rice




I cast around for awhile trying to determine how to approach Florida.  On Google Books, one can find some charming cookbooks in the "Old Florida" vein, veritable goldmines for retro cooking.  However, I was drawn away by Floribbean cuisine, a fusion style heavily influenced by Caribbean immigrants.    I found a lot of seafood and rice dishes, and thought it would be easy to use similar flavors with tofu.   With some inspiration from this omnivore blog post, here's what we did tonight.   No measuring -- all to taste!  (PS - This one's gluten free for my xgfx pals.)

TOFU:  I pressed a block of tofu, sliced it, and then marinated it overnight in a mix of key lime juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, and coriander.  I slapped it on a baking sheet, and baked it at 400F for about 30-40 minutes, flipping it halfway.

RICE:  I mixed about 5 cups (I think) of cooked brown rice with a small (4 oz) can of Hatch green chiles and a 15 oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed).  I refilled the bean can once with frozen corn and once with chopped papaya, and tossed those in.  I finished it with a few chopped green onions, and a little salt and key lime juice.  (I'm definitely making rice this way again!)

SALSA:  Mix chopped pineapple, papaya, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro to taste.  Season with salt, key lime juice, and a wee bit of olive oil.  (I'm sure this improves if made ahead, but I didn't bother.)

To plate:  Cover a couple of pieces of tofu with salsa, and place a good scoop of rice alongside.  Enjoy!

No comments: