Sunday, October 7, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Colorado: The Denver Sandwich



In looking up traditional Colorado recipes, I found a number of tempting items such as Trapper's Fruit.   However, my fondness for breakfast food drove me to the Denver Sandwich, allegedly invented in Denver in 1907.   The original is a omelet with ham, green pepper, and onion, served on toast. 

I used my favorite vegan omelet recipe, the dry mix for which I always have on hand, with green pepper, onion, and some chopped SmartBacon (as that is what I happened to have on hand).   If one had some seitan ham (e.g., the excellent recipe in Caribbean Vegan), it would work well here, but the veggie bacon was perfectly tasty. 

The toast pictured above is the King Arthur Flour recipe for English Muffin Toasting Bread.   It is a quick, easy, reliable recipe which requires only the use of non-dairy milk to veganize.  Because I cannot leave anything alone, I usually add about 1/4 c of sourdough starter and 1-2 T cornmeal to the dough. 

All in all, this was a fast and delicious breakfast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

holy yum!!! sounds delish!