Monday, October 8, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Georgia: The Grant Stack



I am lucky to regularly spend time in Atlanta, which is a wonderful food town.  One of my favorite places is Homegrown on Memorial.  They have a number of vegan options and are always gracious regarding requests.  How can you not love a restaurant which serves Vegan Sloppy Joes with sliced peaches in them? 

I've been intrigued by a non-vegan item on the menu, the Grant Stack:  a sandwich named for Grant Henry, fabulous artist and owner of  Sister's Louisa's Church of the Living Room and Ping-Pong Emporium.   The Grant Stack is a pile of Southern food:  pimiento cheese, bacon, and fried green tomatoes on Texas Toast.   How could I let this pass me by?

For the pimiento cheese, bacon, and fried green tomatoes, I used recipes from Bianca Phillips' wonderful new book, Cookin' Crunk:  Eating Vegan in the Dirty South.  The Texas Toast is the English Muffin Toasting Bread I mentioned yesterday, sliced thick, brushed with a mixture of vegan margarine, garlic, salt, and pepper, and grilled. 

The Grant Stack is far from healthy, but you will feel so satisfied with life that you will not care!

6 comments:

panda with cookie said...

Yes! I must try this soon. Gotta get my stack on.

Tami said...

Just catching up on all your posts. One question. Can I move in?

omgoshimvegan said...

Looks great.

Jes said...

Homegrown opened right after I moved away from Atlanta and I haven't had a chance to check it out on my couple of visits back--definitely getting on that next trip! The veganized Stack looks amazing (though since I'm omni I might swing for the regular one too); good job reppin' my home state! :)

JohnP said...

Jes, Homegrown is great! I recommend the vegan sloppy joe, which I believe is based on shredded Morningstar Farms Hickory BBQ Riblets, mixed with more sauce and peaches.

Bianca said...

YES!!!!!! I am soooo honored that you used my recipes to make that delicious looking sammy. I'm gonna do this later this month in my sandwich themes and link back to you for the recipe. :-) Thanks for the idea!!