Friday, October 12, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Portsmouth Orange Cupcakes from New Hampshire


It's a rainy day in Nashville, so pardon the shadowy photo.   Research on New Hampshire revealed the Portsmouth Orange Cake, original versions of which involve one hell of a lot of eggs.  I decided it was wisest to start from a vegan orange cake recipe which I have made before, from the most excellent Papa Tofu Zine by Kittee.  I decided to make one pan of 12 cupcakes instead of a two layer cake, so I cut her recipe in half, and altered some of the flavors to match the New Hampshire recipes:

Mix in a large bowl:
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 c unbleached sugar
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t mace

Mix in a smaller bowl:
1 c orange juice
zest of 1 orange
1/3 c canola oil
1 t vanilla
1 T lemon juice

Combine wet and dry.  Pour into liners in a cupcake pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F.  

Some of the online recipes for Portsmouth Orange Cake call for an orange buttercream frosting, but I liked the suggestion of serving the unfrosted cake with slices of fresh orange and just a bit of cream (or soy creamer, in our case).    The orange, mace, and vanilla create a lovely flavor, and I think we'll be making these again.

1 comment:

KitteeBee said...

I agree, the fresh citrus topping looks so delicious!

xo
kittee