Friday, October 5, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Arizona Mesquite Pancakes


When it came time to choose a recipe for Arizona, I was sorely tempted by the chimichanga, which was allegedly invented there.  (I highly recommend making Vegan Dad's Baked Chimichangas.)  However, I decided to branch out and try something new.  Mesquite trees grow in Arizona, and I knew there was such a thing as mesquite flour made from the pods (having heard about it from some gluten-free friends), but I had never tasted it.   The internet quickly revealed many sources and I ordered a pound of the stuff.    It has a wonderful aroma and a slightly sweet taste, and I'm tempted by some of the recipes which came with the flour.  However, I found several recipes online, mostly from Arizona, for mesquite pancakes.  These proved easy to veganize and completely delicious:

1/3 c. mesquite flour
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. whole wheat flour*
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/4 c. nondairy milk (I used almond milk, but I think any would work)
1 T. oil
1 T. cider vinegar

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, and then whisk together the wet ingredients in a small bowl.  Combine the two, and stir until just combined.  Cook on a hot griddle in normal pancake fashion.  Serve with agave nectar for a full-on desert foods experience!

*I used Sujata brand multigrain atta, which is mostly whole wheat flour, but with soy, chickpea, millet, rice, corn, and barley added.  It's a great product which I picked up at a local Indian market.

5 comments:

panda with cookie said...

Mesquite flour sounds good. I will have to keep an eye out.

JohnP said...

Action Panda, I think you would like it. It is slightly sweet and slightly smoky. The box had a recipe for mesquite macaroons (gluten free, and only requiring an agave for honey sub to be vegan) which we made - and which were all consumed promptly.

Amey said...

oh man, I love mesquite flour so much!! What a great idea in pancakes!

foodfeud said...

I really like yr theme this year! I'm doing sort of the same thing with only my state (NY) so I'm curious to see what you do for New York (if anything.)
mesquite pancakes sound really delicious.

KitteeBee said...

Dazee once brought me back a bag of mesquite from the co-op in AZ. I sprinkled it into granola, it was good!!

xo
kittee