Wednesday, October 24, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Ohio: Cincinnati Chili




Ohio presents many possibilities, drawn from the range of cultures and peoples who have settled there.  I gave serious consideration to buckeye candy and the Polish Boy sandwich, both of which appear delicious and worthy of future effort.  However, by popular demand (read: pleading from the other half of the household), we went with a known and much-loved recipe for Cincinnati Chili.  This form of chili is served over spaghetti, with a range of optional toppings: cheese, onions, kidney beans, and oyster crackers, as well as more exotic additions.

We are fans of cookbook author Robin Robertson and she has a fantastic recipe for Cincinnati Chili in one of her early books, The Vegetarian Chili Cookbook, which appears to be out of print.  (If you cannot find a copy, it is searchable on Google Books, and you can view the recipe there.)  There is a typo in the amount of TVP.  I believe the intent is 2 1/2 cups instead of 2 1/2 pounds (which would be a dang lot of TVP).  For the cheese, we used some Daiya vegan cheddar, which we had in the freezer, but any vegan cheese will do.  Robin's recipe is a reliable standby.  We almost always have the ingredients, it is forgiving in terms of quantities and modifications, and it is completely satisfying as a solid Midwestern dinner on a cold autumn evening.

Also, here's a shout out to WonderVegan.  I just found her post about a similar 50 States plan from earlier this year.  She has only posted about New Jersey and Virginia so far, but here's hoping she'll do more!

2 comments:

panda with cookie said...

I need to break out my Texas style chili recipe soon.

Amey said...

crazy! I've never heard of Cincinnati Chili. I'm not sure how I feel about chili+ spaghetti... but I'd certainly be willing to give it a go! I love chili, and I think it's getting to be chili time!