Thursday, October 11, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Connecticut Beefless Supper





For Connecticut, I was tempted to veganize the Hartford Election Cake, and I may yet do so in advance of the US presidential election.  However, I am about to be home alone for a few days, and do not need an entire cake to myself.

Thus, I decided to tackle the Connecticut Beef Supper!  In a large ovenproof pot, place 1 chopped onion and 1 T canola oil.  Cook over medium heat until the onion begins to caramelize.   Add 9 oz. Gardein Beefless Tips (or any "beef" seitan, homemade or bought) and stir around for a few minutes.  Add 8 oz mushrooms, chopped, and continue cooking until the mushrooms soften.

Mix 1 c vegan sour cream and 2 c plain soymilk.   Then add about 1/2 c vegan cheddar cheese and 1/4 c nutritional yeast.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Slice 2-3 potatoes into thin slices and layer over the onion-mushroom-beefless tips mixture.   Pour the sour cream mix over the top.   Crumble cornflakes over everything, and transfer to a 350F oven for 60-90 minutes until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked through (stick a knife into the casserole to check) and everything is bubbly.   A hearty and delicious meal, appropriate to the cooler autumn weather --- brown food for the win!

6 comments:

Mihl said...

I love your theme! I never heard of most of the things you came up with, but my excuse is that I am European. It's so interesting to read about all these dishes.

panda with cookie said...

Mihl, I've never heard of most of these dishes either. And I do love some brown food.

KitteeBee said...

Are you really gonna try to hit 50 in 31???? I've been reading everyday, even though I haven't been posting.

xo
kittee

JohnP said...

Kittee, there's no way I can hit 50 in 31. I'm going to do my best to hit 31 in 31, although even that may be a stretch, as I am out of town every weekend in October. (Thank Kitchen Kali for pre-loading!) No matter how it sorts out, I will definitely keep going after MoFo (prob not every day) until I have done all 50 - maybe even 51 for DC! Surely I can do that by Christmas! Any suggestions for Oregon?

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks awesome! I love brown food!

Corrin Radd said...

Made this today--mmmm comfort food.