Sunday, November 7, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 7: Barley Caraway Soup


I decided to try another of the many caraway recipes in the Lukas Klinik's Cookery Book (1978). This was completely delicious. I could have eaten the whole pot.

Place into a dry pan:
40 g barley flour (I ground some pearl barley in my Vita-Mix)
2 T caraway seed (ground fine in a clean coffee grinder)

Stir over medium heat, toasting, until it is brown and fragrant. At this point, you will know from the smell that it will be very good.

Add:
1 liter vegetable broth
20 g vegan margarine

Bring to a boil, cover, and cook 20 minutes.

Take off the heat and add:
1 dl nondairy milk (I used almond)
1 dl nondairy yogurt (I used FarmSoy plain)

Stir and serve.

8 comments:

DJ said...

This looks and sounds delicious - sounds like one of the soups my mum used to make when I was a kid! My daughter's a barley lover so I'm definitely going to give it a try!

mirbrewer said...

What a great idea to use vintage cookbooks for mofo. I have a couple of old ones myself: Laurel's Kitchen and The Yogi Cook Book. How fun!

panda with cookie said...

Getting down with the caraway this week! I may see if Amazing Savings has some barley flour.

panda with cookie said...

Getting down with the caraway this week! I may see if Amazing Savings has some barley flour.

JohnP said...

panda, if you have trouble finding barley flour and are without a super-powered blender, any asian market which carried japanese food should have pressed barley. pressed barley is a lot softer than pearl barley - more like oatmeal - and should grind up easily in a regular blender or food processor.

Anonymous said...

What's a dl? A dollop? A deciliter?

JohnP said...

Deciliter - 3.something ounces. You could say a half cup and be done with it.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Mmm. I want some soup right now!