Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 17: Ackee and Spaghetti


Today we tried another recipe from Linda & Milton Mahabee, A Vegetarian Cookbook and Better Living Guide, 1985. If you have never tried ackees, they are a real treat - and shockingly similar in texture and appearance to scrambled eggs. It is almost impossible to find them fresh in the United States, but Caribbean markets will carry them canned in brine. (Nashvillians, I bought a can this morning at K&S World Market on Nolensville Road.)

With a few slight adaptations, here is the Mahabees' recipe:

19 oz can ackees, drained
14.5 oz can tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
1 clove garlic, chopped (I used two)
2 scallions, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
thyme to taste
2 t oil
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 - 1 t salt

Saute the garlic, scallions, bell pepper and thyme in the oil until soft. Then add tomatoes and cook a few minutes. Finally, stir in the ackees, onion powder, and salt. Go easy with the salt. The ackees are usually packed in brine and can bring a lot of salt into the sauce. Serve with spaghetti.



6 comments:

Bianca said...

Good to know! There's a scramble recipe in Caribbean Vegan that I really want to try with ackee. We don't have a Caribbean market here, but some of the Asian markets carry other types of ethnic foods. If I can't find it here, I can stop up next time I've in Nashville!

Anonymous said...

YuM oO...I came checking for this post yesterday but here it is...I think I am paying 16 usd a can so I have to save up my pennys to try this because there are not a lot of ackee recipes out there. That looks so good with pasta. I am so jealous of your old cookbook collection and access to these old recipes.:)

KitteeBee said...

dazee fell in love with ackee, when we visited jamaica. not me, i hate eggs, even vegan eggs, no no no no. yours is with pasta, so that is less egg-like.

xo
kittee

Veg-In-Training said...

I had never heard of ackee! Now I am very curious.

JohnP said...

I heard yesterday that some investors are planning to grow ackees commercially in Florida, so perhaps fresh ackees will be available in the US in the future. But the canned ones aren't bad at all (unless you are kittee!)

Seitan Said Dance said...

Awesome! I love the ackee scramble in Caribbean Vegan, but didn't know what else to do with it! Now I have two recipes for the stuff. Hurrah!