Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 2: Yeasted Oatmeal Muffins


Some years ago, I visited friends in Oceanside, California. While there, they took me on a visit to the headquarters of the Rosicrucian Fellowship. This esoteric group runs (or, at least, ran at the time) a lovely vegetarian cafeteria, staffed mostly by elderly ladies who were as friendly as they were hard of hearing. I have two cookbooks from this community. The older one, the New Age Vegetarian Cookbook, dates from 1968. Here is a veganized version of their oatmeal muffin recipe.

2 c unbleached flour
1/2 c rolled oats
3 T brown sugar
2 t vegan shortening
1 t salt
2 1/4 t dry yeast
1 c nondairy milk

Scald the milk. Pour over oats, sugar, shortening, and salt. Stir together and cool to lukwarm. Add yeast and flour. If it is too dry, add more liquid. You want this to be a little more moist than typical bread dough. Spoon into greased muffin cups. They should be half full. Cover and let rise until the cups are full. My kitchen was cold on the day I made these, and it took about 45 minutes for them to rise. Bake approximately 20 minutes at 440 F.

6 comments:

panda with cookie said...

I haven't seen a lot of recipes lately that call for the scalding of milk. I need to look more.

JohnP said...

Often it is unclear why one scalds the milk, and if it is really necessary - but here one needs the heat to soften the oatmeal and melt the fat.

julie hasson said...

Yay, you're back blogging again John!

ImitationOfChris said...

the mighty return of JohnP! Those muffins look purty darn tasty.

Luciana said...

Oh, these sound lovely! I love oats in anything, so I'm bookmarking this!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Oh yeah! These look great!