Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 11: Pie with the Countess


I decided to try a dessert recipe from Countess Constance Wachtmeister's Practical Vegetarian Cookery (1897). The Almond Peach Pie required no veganizing at all, as long as you use a vegan pastry crust.

Fill an unbaked pie crust with canned peaches. The Countess instructs us to use peach halves, but I failed to inform my able assistant who bought sliced peaches. In November, there is no shame in canned peaches. If you have used peach halves, you can fill their cavities with chopped almonds. Otherwise, just sprinkle the almonds over everything, as in the photo above. I used 4 cans (14.5 oz) of peaches, and 1 cup of almonds. Per the Countess, add just a wee bit of the syrup from the cans, and sprinkle everything with sugar (not much). I also used about 1/4 t of almond extract. Cover with a top crust, and bake. I baked mine for 15 minutes at 400 F, and then lowered the temp for 45 minutes at 350 F.

This makes a very juicy pie, best served cobbler style, without trying to get tidy slices. I think the runny filling complements the crunchy almonds, and I don't believe I would want them suspended in something thicker. However, if you do, you could add a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch/arrowroot/tapioca.

4 comments:

panda with cookie said...

No shame in the can o' peach!

Anonymous said...

The countess has a way with pie.

JohnP said...

Pie is essential - to keep her from dining on your soul!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

So glad you didn't include pictures of the Countess.