Thursday, October 9, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 9: Product Review: Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes


This is our new favorite breakfast item. I bought it at the local Whole Foods, but it is widely available on-line, and can be bought in bulk from the manufacturer. The flakes are steam-rolled organic quinoa. It looks like tiny oatmeal, and cooks up super-fast into a smooth porridge with a light taste and gentle texture. According to the box, it can be used in baking, and for other purposes like thickening soups. We haven't gotten that far, yet. If you are a quinoa fan, you'll love it. And when you are enjoying your quinoa flakes with a splash of hemp milk, you can ponder just how far down the vegan rabbithole you have fallen!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had these flakes in my pantry for, honestly, YEARS! Please inspire me to use them :)

JohnP said...

lazysmurf,
do you not like the breakfast porridge? i haven't tried adding them to soup yet, but I have a feeling it would work great - e.g., giving a little thickening to a fall vegetable stew.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen anywhere near here, I must investigate online because now? I crave.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen such a thing. That sounds good. I love quinoa and never even thought of having it as porridge.

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Does it taste like quinoa?

JohnP said...

dynah,
yes it does

Anonymous said...

Maybe that should be obvious but I was curious! I'll give these a try.