Monday, October 20, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 20: Peanut Cheeze

PPK readers may recall my earlier experiment with the "Chedda Polenta" recipe in the Seven Secrets Cookbook by Jim and Neva Brackett. This is a vegan cheeze based on peanuts and cornmeal. (Gluten-free and soy-free people, take note: this cheeze is for you.) My first try was tasty, but looked a bit funny, as I put it in a loaf pan that was too large. This time I used my smallest individual mini-pan: much better, and the texture is also improved.

As with most vegan cheeze, this is not going to mimic dairy. But it is very tasty in its own savory right. A few recipe notes: I used smoked paprika instead of regular paprika, because I love it (and have to be physically restrained from putting it in everything). Next time, I will probably reduce the baking time by a few minutes. You can see in the photo that the edges are a little crumbly. For the peanuts, I used plain, store-brand, salted, roasted peanuts from the snack aisle. (Watch ingredients, as some brands of roasted peanuts include gelatin. Bizarre, but true.) I cut the salt in the recipe slightly, as the peanuts were already quite salty.

This is good on crackers, shredded into tofu scramble, or (as above) in a sandwich with struan, vegenaise, arugula, and tomatoes.


SeĆ²na said...

I have always thought homemade vegan cheeze was so much better than dairy cheese ... it has a lot more flavour and I'm not drinking buckets of water afterward because of too much salt and fat.

Celine said...

I think I need to add that cookbook to my list, stat.

Jeni Treehugger said...

It looks lovely! The colour is especially good.


I will definitely have to get my hands on that recipe! It looks really great! Thanks for doing such a great job with posts for Mofo :)

Ladybug said...

Ooh that looks delicious! And much cheaper than cashews which is usually what the uncheese recipes call for. Yum.

P.S. Tag you're it! Let's see your freezer.

JohnP said...

Yes, that's one of the things I like about the recipe - no odd or expensive ingredients. There are a lot of innovative recipes in Seven Secrets.

And... shit! I knew I was going to get freezer-tagged! :) I'll do it this weekend!