Saturday, October 4, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 4: Saturday shout-out

I don't have time for a proper post, so I'll give a shout-out to 2 excellent recipes from other MoFo participants which we made today:

Breakfast: Julie Hasson's Creamy Rice Pudding made with hemp milk. We had it with roasted hazelnuts, dried cranberries, and cinnamon. It took me right back to bygone days of rice pudding in New York City diners, except better!

Lunch: Bryanna Clark Grogan's Caponata from her book, Nonna's Italian Kitchen. (If you do not own this book, buy it now.) When T was in Sicily, one of his favorite things was caponata, and he doesn't even like eggplant. As we had a lot of eggplant from our Community Supported Agriculture box, we decided to give it a try. Bryanna never disappoints, and this was totally delicious. We used all the optional ingredients. For the olives, I pulled out my precious jar of mesquite-smoked, almond-stuffed olives from the Queen Creek Olive Mill, which the wonderful Veg-in-Training sent to us.

Thanks Julie, Bryanna, and ViT for such a tasty day so far. We've got piles of errands to do, so dinner may be cheap Mexican on Nolensville Road.

1 comment:

Veg-In-Training said...

I'm so glad you are having fun with the olives. Fred and I got back Friday and went straight back to work. I am working 12 hour shifts until Thursday. I plan on sending more goodies your way then.