Monday, October 27, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 27: Thank you for my breakfast, Brendan Brazier



Some months ago, I bought a copy of The Thrive Diet by vegan athlete Brendan Brazier. I bought it on-line, following a friend's recommendation, and was a little worried that the book might be a commercial for the Vega products that Brazier formulated. I have never tried Vega, and it is not exactly in my budget. However, I shouldn't have worried, as The Thrive Diet is a very useful and solid book, containing excellent nutritional information and a wide range of recipes. While Brazier certainly mentions Vega, he makes it clear that you don't need those products to follow his program, and gives easy DIY recipes for making your own versions.

Even the quickest glance at this blog will demonstrate that we don't follow Brazier's diet recommendations with any great strictness. Nonetheless, we consume his smoothies very frequently for breakfast (ginger-pear in the photo above), and we also like his nutrition bar recipes (easy and better than any of the commercial ones). We haven't gotten too far beyond smoothies and bars, but I hope to do so, soon. He has some intriguing pizza recipes that beg to be made!

3 comments:

bazu said...

I'm a fan of Brendan Brazier, and think his advice about exercise and nutrition is spot on. However, neither Daiku or I like the taste of the vega smoothie mixes that we've tried. It's just a taste thing, I guess!

Anonymous said...

I've been drinking his post-workout drinks (the recipes from the book not the vega ones) and they really do seem to aid recovery.
The other things that I've tried and liked are the walnut-hemp burger, the yam oven fries, and the creamy ginger dressing.

jAe said...

i've heard mixed reviews about the recipes in The Thrive Diet - haven't tried any myself, but i could really get into the parts of the book i read.

the way i like vega, should you ever get your hands on some is:
* 1 scoop chocolate flavour: blended with a banana, 1 scoop hemp protein (if i do this instead of all vega, it's cheaper), 1 tbsp of flaxseeds freshly ground, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and some almond milk and a splash of filtered water.
* 1 scoop natural flavour: blended with a banana, 1 scoop hemp protein, 1 tbsp of green powder,
1 tsp spirulina, 1/3 cup froz fruit (blueberries, strawberries, peach, whatev) and some almond milk and a splash of filtered water.

... a satisfying breakfast, indeed!