Monday, October 13, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 13: The Complete Book of Pies


I wish I was able to do the Vegan MoFo Iron Chef Challenge that Katie is orchestrating, but life and travel keep getting in the way. (I just drove back to Tennessee.) Maybe next week. In the meanwhile...

I have been eyeing the Spiced Apple Pie recipe in Julie Hasson's The Complete Book of Pies. It's on the cover of the book. As I had all the ingredients, I decided to give it a go tonight. If you really need another reason to buy this book, here you have it. This apple pie manages to be traditional and homey at the same time that it is complex and interesting. (It's not even finished cooling, but I had to cut into it!) I was lazy and had no shortening in the freezer, so I made her Sweet Oil Crust - excellent texture, foolproof, and fast.

Julie's book is not vegan, but it has many, many vegan recipes, all of which are clearly marked. And I strongly suspect that, with a little creativity, even the recipes not marked vegan-friendly can be veganized.

2 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my, the pie looks & sounds SO good! I think I need to get Julie's book.

KitteeBee said...

i need to get this book too. i <3 julie, and she knows her dessert!

xo
kittee