Saturday, October 8, 2011
Vegan MoFo Day 8: Fresh Apple Cake
This is a recipe from my grandmother which I veganized a year ago, but I have never blogged it here. It fits with my MoFo theme, and I'm damned busy getting ready for a party, so here you have it! It's a very tasty cake, although perhaps oversweet for some taste buds. If you don't have a major sweet tooth, dial back the sugar a bit. Thanks again to Mark and Huw, who both provided helpful suggestions in the veganizing process.
1. Take a 15 oz can of pears. Drain them and then pulverize in the food processor.
2. Mix the pulverized pears with 2 c sugar, 1 1/4 c canola oil, 1/2 c sorghum (or other syrup of your choice), and 1 t vanilla. Beat until well combined.
3. Sift together: 3 c all purpose flour, 1/2 t salt, 1 T baking powder, 1 t baking soda, 1 t cinnamon. Mix into the wet ingredients until just combined. This will be thick.
4. Add 3 c chopped apples and 1 c chopped nuts.
5. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
Once upon a time, I think this recipe had a caramel icing, but no one ever made it, as it is really excellent, as is.
Posted by JohnP at 12:01 AM