Sunday, November 18, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Wyoming Apple Pudding



I lied when I said it would be a week before the next post.  I managed to work through another recipe before Thanksgiving took over my life.

Whenever I think of Wyoming, my mind goes to a friend and former neighbor who is a Wyoming native and whose (very omnivore but inspiring) food blog can be found at Westchester Eats.  However, his recipes are mostly inspired by New York's international culture or the Italy of his family background.

Searching further, I found that there is something known as Wyoming Apple Pudding.  It manifests in several different forms.   Many of the modern recipes I located involve dumping together a number of convenience foods (spice cake mix, canned apple pie filling, etc) and baking.  I'm sure the results are good in that middle American processed food way.   However, I dug a bit deeper, and found a recipe from Cooking in Wyoming (1965) which must predate the compulsion to open a box from the supermarket.  I put it through the veganizer and this is what came out:

1. Grease and flour a pie plate.  Heat the oven to 350 F.

2.   Mix together the following:

2 c. grated apple (I used two huge Fuji apples)
1 c. chopped nuts (I used pecans, although they are surely untraditional, as they do not grow as far north as Wyoming.)
1/2 c. unsweetened plain soy yogurt
2 T. Bird's Custard powder (you could use cornstarch if you don't have this)
1 c. unrefined sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. vegan butter flavoring

Pour into the prepared pie plate and bake for about 40 minutes until it appears set on top and is bubbling with molten sugary lava around the edges.

The result, while not very photogenic, is quite tasty.  It's in the apple pie / apple cobbler family and yet different:  an autumn apple dessert which is a bit of a change from the usual.   When cold, you can slice it like a pie.   Thanks, Wyoming!



2 comments:

urban vegan said...

This actually sounds like my kinda' thing!

JohnP said...

dynise, it doesn't look like much, but it was darn good. if you come up with improvements, let me know!