Thursday, November 15, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Wisconsin: Lefse




Scandinavian immigrants have marked the food of the upper Midwest.   Norwegians brought with them lefse, a potato flatbread.   Lefse could be assigned to more than one state in this region, but I found a lot of recipes arising from Wisconsin, and decided to go with that designation.   I started from this Wisconsin recipe and made changes as given:

1. Peel and chop 1 lb potatoes.   Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, and boil until very soft.

2. Drain potatoes, and put into the bowl of a stand mixer, together with 1/4 c. vegan margarine, 1/4 c. plain unsweetened soy yogurt, and 1/2 t. salt.    Mix until completely smooth.  Pour into a bowl and refrigerate at least 8 hours.   (The internet warns us not to skip the refrigeration step.)

3.  Using your hands, work about 1 c. all purpose flour into the cold potatoes.   Divide into 16 balls.  

4. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high.   On a floured surface, roll out each lefse ball into a thin, round (or, in my case, sort-of round) pancake.  Go as thin as you reasonably can.   Transfer one at a time to the hot skillet, and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until brown spots appear and it looks cooked.

5. Roll up with whatever you like, sweet or savory.  While completely non-traditional, I rolled them with peanut butter and jelly!  Vegan margarine and cinnamon-sugar would be more traditional, and I think Tofurky slices would be fabulous.

Lefse was much easier to make than I anticipated, and really, really good.   Try this!

*The statue in the first photo is St Olav, the patron saint of Norway.  A friend gave the statue to me.  He normally hangs out on a bookshelf, but I thought he could help me in the kitchen tonight.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Mofo-ing after Mofo? I salute you and your fun 50 states theme.

JohnP said...

Jess, I won't stop until I finish the 50! Stubborn, I am.