Sunday, September 21, 2008

Homemade Pita


Morgyn over at The PPK has started a homemade challenge series, and the first week is pita bread. I used the recipe that she posted, and it worked very well! Morgyn advised that it is important not to roll the dough too thin, or it won't puff, and this proved to be true. I found that my dough rose faster than the recipe indicated (approx 1 hour) and my baking time was a minute or two longer than written. You have to watch very carefully as they go from not-done to burnt very quickly.


We are very spoiled by living near a great pita bakery (Baraka Bakery on Nolensville Rd in Nashville). Mine were nowhere near their standard of perfection, but they taste great and certainly have inspired me to make pita again. It's easy - try it!




4 comments:

allularpunk said...

last time i made my own pita...there were no pockets. i forgot this challenge was going on, maybe i'll try and whip up some pitas of my own tonight. i've been wanting felafel anyway.

Unknown said...

They look great. I must try my own soon. In fact, I can't believe I never have.

bazu said...

those look so good, john! so fluffy and perfect. I once made spelt pitas at home, they came out extremely well. if you like spelt, give it a try.

JohnP said...

bazu, I have not done much spelt baking, but I would like to, and maybe this will motivate me! thanks!