Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 8: Fresh Apple Cake


This is a recipe from my grandmother which I veganized a year ago, but I have never blogged it here. It fits with my MoFo theme, and I'm damned busy getting ready for a party, so here you have it! It's a very tasty cake, although perhaps oversweet for some taste buds. If you don't have a major sweet tooth, dial back the sugar a bit. Thanks again to Mark and Huw, who both provided helpful suggestions in the veganizing process.

1. Take a 15 oz can of pears. Drain them and then pulverize in the food processor.

2. Mix the pulverized pears with 2 c sugar, 1 1/4 c canola oil, 1/2 c sorghum (or other syrup of your choice), and 1 t vanilla. Beat until well combined.

3. Sift together: 3 c all purpose flour, 1/2 t salt, 1 T baking powder, 1 t baking soda, 1 t cinnamon. Mix into the wet ingredients until just combined. This will be thick.

4. Add 3 c chopped apples and 1 c chopped nuts.

5. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.

Once upon a time, I think this recipe had a caramel icing, but no one ever made it, as it is really excellent, as is.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

That cake sounds so perfect for autumn! I think a caramel icing sounds pretty good too, but I'm always on board for (vegan) caramel. :)

celyn said...

That cake is so pretty!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks and sounds delicious.

panda with cookie said...

You know how I love my bundt cakes.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That is one sexy bundt.

Anonymous said...

Any substitute for canned pears? I have no canned fruit today but I'd really like to make this recipe... I do have extra apples & a banana or two.

JohnP said...

I think any canned fruit would work. Not sure if fresh would give you the right texture - but report if you try it.