Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 15: Okra Patties


A couple of years ago, a coworker of mine gave me a Caribbean Adventist cookbook: A Vegetarian Cookbook and Better Living Guide by Linda & Milton Mahabee, published in Jamaica in 1985. I haven't used it much, but I recently noticed the okra patties recipe, which is really more of a description/idea than a formal recipe. It may not look like much, but this is one of my favorites from this month of retro-veg recipes.

The Mahabees start with fresh cooked okra. As okra is out of season, I took a bag of frozen sliced okra and steamed it in the microwave for a couple of minutes to thaw it. Mash the okra with a potato masher. Big chunks are fine. You just want to break up the slices. Gradually mix in enough flour (oat and/or whole wheat - I used some of both) to be able to form patties. It will still be sticky and somewhat loose. Add salt and seasonings of your choice, to taste. I used the All American Seasoning Mix from American Vegan Kitchen. I think a Cajun spice mix would be great, too - or you could stick to the Caribbean theme and use the Bajan Seasoning in Caribbean Vegan.

With wet hands (so the mixture does not stick to you), form patties and place them on an oiled baking sheet. Spray the tops with a little oil, and bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes until crispy. Easy and completely delicious!

3 comments:

panda with cookie said...

Y'all know my thoughts on okra. This will be made.

Anonymous said...

like i am all over this
there is another vegan cookbook more pro jamaican that was out for a while too. I have okras now it seems to be back in season here and I was saving it for Cou Cou because I do not know when I will get it again...but I wanna try this it seems like a fritter almost...anything with okra always works even if some thinks it sucks it is one of those things that always do wonders. I will try this in my downtime!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

You say okra and I'm totally there!