Monday, December 24, 2012

50 States of MoFo: Delaware Raisin Cake



I had trouble determining what to make for Delaware.  I found a large number of seafood recipes, which were uninspiring, difficult to veganize, or similar to the non-crab cakes we made for Maryland.  There were also a number of peach dishes - as peaches are the state fruit - but nothing that caught my fancy.  I used to visit Delaware with some frequency, and my primary food memories involve good Italian food -- but nothing distinctive.

We usually make a fruitcake at Christmas, but I did not get to it this year.   Thus, I was pleased to find a recipe for "Delaware Raisin Cake" floating around the internet.   With a few small changes, here you have it:

1.  Grease and flour a bundt pan.   Heat the oven to 325 F.

2. In a saucepan, combine 16 oz raisins, 1 1/2 c apples (peeled and chopped), and 2 c water.  Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes.

3.  Into the hot fruit mix, stir 1/2 c vegan margarine, 2 c unrefined sugar, 1 T baking soda, 1 T cinnamon, 1 t nutmeg, 1 t cloves, and 1 c water.    This will foam up because of the baking soda, so be sure there is enough room in the pan, or switch to a larger container.   Gently stir in 4 c all purpose flour.

4. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake at 325 F for 1 hour.

2 comments:

Amey said...

wow, that looks amazing! You got such an excellent and fluffy rise! I really like sweet breads like this. I am loving your 50 states posts!!

JohnP said...

Amey, I was pleasantly surprised by how well this worked! We have been eating it with Bird's Custard made with almond milk.